Book Review - Chandogya Upanishad By Naveen Goyal
The Chandogya Upanishad is a collection of stories of wisdom that aim to awaken the seeker to the ultimate truth - that which we search for outwards, is within us, that we are both the seeker and the sought.
The author has presented these stories in a beautiful and poetic way that is both mesmerizing and enthralling. There is a certain rhythm to the narrative which has been clearly written at leisure and deserves to be read so.
The book begins with a description of what an Upanishad really means, and then proceeds to share its wisdom through timeless stories that strike the right chord and linger in the deep recesses of our memory.
The book talks in detail about the various Vidyas or sciences mentioned in the Upanishad - Madhu Vidya (The Honey Doctrine), Sandilya Vidya, Dahara Vidya and more such theories which have been presented in a clear, concise and poetic manner. I was left in awe and wonder at the simple yet immensely beautiful explanations of these sciences.
Then there are stories, breath-taking stories of timeless wisdom that will be relevant in every age, featuring unforgettable characters such as Satyakama Jabala, the boy who stood by truth, the brilliant scholar Shvetaketu whose pride is humbled by a single question, the wisest of kings, Pravahana who is credited with imparting knowledge to Guru Aruni and his son Shvetaketu and more such awe-inspiring stories that will stay with you forever.
I have to specially mention the story of Shvetaketu by whose humbling and curiosity, the world got the ultimate wisdom of Tat Tvam Asi - Thou Art That. This story has been presented in a most wonderful way in several parts and kept me engrossed, wanting to know more.
I have read the author's book on Yajurveda and found it to be an excellent treatise, and I had high expectations from this book. The expectations were not met, they were surpassed! I cannot recommend this book enough. It is a must-read for every seeker who wants the answer to the ultimate mystery of all times - Who Am I?, and the answer will come roaring back - Tat Tvam Asi.

Comments
Post a Comment