Book Review: Dear Son by Col JS Maan
This book is a collection of 21 letters that the Col wrote for his son. Letters because, the Col says (rightly) that it is not always easy for fathers to converse with their sons. Hence he decided to write down everything that he wanted to share with his son.
The letters talk about the Col's early days and his struggles and the life lessons he learnt and wishes to impart to his son.
As a millennial who has a teenaged son, I could very well relate to each and every letter. The Col's advice is not at all preachy. He has written the way it would appeal to teenagers - sharing life-lessons but giving the choice of direction and path to his son.
The letters are simple yet deeply profound in their content. Many a times I came across a sentence that brought a lump to my throat. The Col has written from the PoV of a millennial - born in one generation, raised in another and now living in a totally new world. His fears regarding the world that his son is living in now are the fears that every parent faces today.
Although the letters are for a son, I feel the book is for every parent. The letters reflect the times we are living in, the worries and anxieties that surround us today and the ways we can deal with the same (Acceptance - that's the only way out!).
I hope someday my son reads this book. (frankly, telling him to read is the surest way to ensure that he doesn't. Kids who obey are fantasy genre for me now. Teenagers, huh?).
I found this book to be a poignant and motivating read and I would definitely recommend this to all those looking for inspiring and soulful reads.

Comments
Post a Comment