Day 2 Of A Reel-less Existence!



Today was the second day of having uninstalled FB app from my mobile. 

I did log into FB from my laptop to post a book review and then to check my writing group for updates. But that was it. Uninstalling FB has brought in several unpleasant realizations. 

Firstly, the reels were taking up almost 80% of my day. 80%! I myself was amazed at everything I could do today which I would have postponed or procrastinated if the dreadful reels were there. 

To start with, I could finish a story that I had begun ten days ago. Not just that, I could also edit and submit it to my writer's group. While I was writing only 500 words every day, today I could write three times more than that and brought the total word count of the story to 5k. I got so excited that I shared the word count of the story as my status in WA. (WA is allowed. It's not as addictive as reels!). 

I could get some cleaning done. I also did some exercises. I got started on reading a new book and also started making plans for my next novel / novella. 

But the best part for me was that I finally caught up with all the videos that my family group keeps posting. I realized with a pang that I have been ignoring these videos, thinking that I don't have time to watch these, all the while watching awful reels. Catching up with my family group was the best part of the day for me. 

I also realized another thing. The evening wasn't guilt-laden like it usually would be! All negative thoughts, grudges and self-rebuke would usually make their presence felt during the evening. The worst part was the guilt over having wasted another day without doing anything productive. That snarky voice is silent tonight! 

It is surprising how much I can accomplish without the distraction of FB. I would say that the second reel-less day of existence worked in my favor. Here's hoping that all days be like this. I mean, I am a homemaker and not an achiever or a world-shaker, but sometimes the highlight of my day is not having wasted time. Not much happens in a homemaker's life and every little bit of positivity that comes her way is always welcome!

The real challenge lies tomorrow when there is nothing for me to write. Today most of the time went by in writing and editing the story but tomorrow I will probably have a lot of free time in hands. That is usually when the urge to check out reels strikes. I will admit that there is a slight but positive pressure in writing about my struggles with reels. I will think about what I will write at the end of the day and that will probably incite me to spend it more productively. Keeping fingers crossed!

Comments

  1. When we stop scrolling through social media we will be surprised at how much time we suddenly have at our disposal. Enjoyed reading your write up

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do Not Just Exist; Live!

To Thine Own Self, Be Kind!

Happiness - A Journey And Destination!